Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Entitlements

I was in an airport in the middle of nowhere recently and had an opportunity to witness and be involved in an exceptionally interesting exchange. I was flying with my least favorite air carrier because they happen to be one of just three airlines that service this ridiculously small airport in the middle of nowhere. They're my least favorite because they have a reputation for being late, the employees are generally pretentious and uptight, and I don't particularly like their choice of aircraft selection.

So, my least favorite air carrier (being true to their reputation) made sure that every leg of my flight was late, and as I sat in this airport in the middle of nowhere I got to participate in the following exchange:

Realizing my flight was delayed, I approached the counter and asked the gate agent if the delay would impact my connection and ultimate arrival at my final destination. She basically told me that I was hosed. "Yep...you're going to miss the connection...you'll have to take the later flight...you're probably going to arrive at your final destination about 2 hours late." Now granted, most days I don't look like a polished executive or CEO of a Fortune 500 company. It's quite the opposite. Most days I more closely resemble a surfer who has just come in off the beach or a derelict reprobate with a criminal background or some other sordid past, so I wasn't really expecting much. All I wanted was information, and that's what I got.

By contrast, the next guy in line was wearing a $500 suit. Now, get the picture straight in your mind - I'm in a T-shirt, jeans, and flip flops; he's in full blown "look at me" mode - starched shirt, silk tie, cuff links, the whole bit. He has the same problem I do, and the same credentials. This guy isn't like super gold elite membership status in the frequent flier program or anything like that. He's just a guy in a nice suit whose flight is delayed. The interesting thing about the exchange (part 1) is that this guy thought that the suit entitled him to special treatment. He wanted to be rerouted, or get an upgrade at no charge, free drinks on the plane, first in line to board, etc. You know what? He got it all. Apparently the gate agent also recognized that the suit entitled him to king-like treatment. Not only did he get everything he demanded, but the gate agents practically tripped over themselves to make sure he was taken care of. In the military, this is commonly referred to as "boot licking."

The next character enters stage left. A self-absorbed collegiate teen, who wants everyone to think she's 25, steps to the counter. It's her turn to complain. Now the competition begins. She has to one up "expensive suit guy." Out comes the ace card: "My daddy is a pilot with you guys, and he got this ticket for me. If you can't get me to my final destination on time, I'll be forced to have him call your supervisor." UH OH...For those of you following along at home, what she actually said was, "I'm entitled to more stuff than that guy, because I'm more important." Funny thing, she also got everything she asked for.

Now, what's the point of this long, comedic rant about these two individuals? The point is this: These two people were so absorbed by what they thought they were entitled to, that they became completely consumed by it, competing with each other for the spoils, and losing complete sight of anything that carried any real value, like self-respect for instance. Make no mistake about it, these two got everything they deserved in the end - premium seats, free drinks, a sense of superiority, and it only cost them their dignity, respect, and the slightest chance than anyone in life will ever take them seriously.

When all you have in life is what you think you're entitled to, then you never have anything of value because everything becomes tarnished by self-absorption. If you don't think you're entitled to anything in life, then everything you receive becomes a precious gift that you're thankful for, and show gratitude for.

I hope those seats were worth it.