Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tech

Let me start this post by saying that I hate technology, not all technology, just most of it, and not for the reasons you might expect. I recognize that it's a bit ironic for a guy who started a blog just three days ago to be railing against technology so soon afterward. I also recognize that it might seem counter intuitive for me to blast the very technology that I benefit from using. None of that is lost on me. All the same, I still hate technology.

Here's why: tech proponents always try to sell me on the convenience of advancements like text messaging and Facebook. They say, "It's fast, easy, convenient, and allows me to get so much more done in my day." I seriously doubt that, but even if true this convenience comes at what cost?

In reality, many recent technological advancements have come at a great cost. Technology is pervasive - it's everywhere and in everything, but it's also invasive - it slowly creeps into our lives stealing precious margin away from us. Are my tech proponents really more productive as the result of the technology they use? A better question might be, "How valuable is what you produce?"

That's the basic problem - convenience versus value. There are a lot of things in my life that are convenient, but totally without value - pre-ground coffee beans for example. Fresh whole beans provide for a much more valuable coffee drinking experience, but grinding my own beans at 6 AM isn't really a task I cherish and look forward to each and every morning. It's an inconvenience, but generates a much more valuable experience. My coffee tastes richer and fresher than the pre-ground swill some in my circle have become conditioned to.

So, consider the value that you're getting from your technology. Is it eating up precious time and margin in your life, and if so you'd better be getting something awesome in return for the time, effort, and energy that you're spending on tech. If you're not getting something awesome in return (i.e. deeper relationships, richer communication, greater intimacy with loved ones) then you might want to consider what your time is really worth.

What would you say is more valuable:
  • One more email in your inbox or a hand written letter from a loved one?
  • A text message or a phone call from a friend?
  • Another message on your Facebook wall or a conversation with your neighbor?
How much is technology encroaching on your life, and how much value is it adding? In other words, is it worth it? If it is, you're probably the exception, not the rule.