Monday, May 17, 2010

Fuel

I was involved in a lot of running this past weekend. There was a 5K run for charity nearby, followed shortly thereafter by my usual weekend run, then my son (having been at the 5K and watching everyone else run) wanted me to go for a run with him. Toward the end of my last run I started to feel depleted, hungry, lacking strength and energy. I was out of fuel. I had burned off everything that my body had to offer and was approaching the end of my available resources.

Life is like that sometimes. There are things in life that energize us and fuel our passions and aspirations. There are also those things that deplete us of that energy and spend our fuel. A couple of important lessons come to mind as I reflect on fuel.

Select good sources of fuel. What fuels you? Are you running on low grade crude that is inefficient and wears down the engine parts of your life, or are you selecting high quality premium fuels as your source of energy and motivation?

What do we do when we're out of fuel? Do you recognize when the tank is getting low and take appropriate action to refuel? Are there regular pit stops along the road of life that allow you to keep gas in your tank without running the risk of going completely dry?

Something fuels all of us. Here's to selecting good quality fuels, and keeping the tank adequately filled for the adventures and challenges of life.