Thursday, May 13, 2010

When People Lose Their Humanity

I read a news story recently about a drug addicted young woman who was shot and killed while participating in a botched break-in. I read the news as I usually do, with detachment and objectivity, until the reader comments posted below the story caught my eye.

Most of the comments were celebrating the woman's death as a victory for the homeowner and the second amendment, which guarantees the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Now, I'm all for the second amendment. People should have the right to protect themselves from life threatening harm if they so choose, but surely that right doesn't give us moral license to celebrate and even take pleasure in death.

I find no place within the realm of reasonable humanity for comments like "some get what they deserve," or "rock on...too bad he didn't plug the other two..." I doubt the homeowner feels the same. In fact, I'm wiling to bet that the homeowner is emotionally and psychologically traumatized over knowing that he ended this woman's life, and I'm also willing to bet that the events of that night will forever be etched into his memory where they will be carried for the rest of his life. I doubt he's throwing himself a party today. It's more likely that he's embracing his loved ones and seeking trauma counseling.

Aren't even criminals due some degree of compassion as human beings? This was someone's daughter, someone's mother. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not advocating that crimes should go unpunished, or that the homeowner wasn't justified in acting to protect his family, but punishing crimes and providing protection are very different from a cavalier enjoyment of death.

We need to remember a couple of things as we go through this life:
  1. All of us are just one wrong decision away from being in a similar situation or worse.
  2. All of us deserve much worse than what we've been given in this lifetime.
We've all danced a little too closely with the devil at times in life. In those moments, some go over the edge of the abyss. We're all vulnerable.

When was the last time you got what you really deserved? After all, we're all criminals.

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." - Romans 3:23

I'm glad Jesus decided to take compassion on criminals, including a criminal like me.

Then one of the criminals hanging there began to yell insults at Him: “Aren’t You the Messiah? Save Yourself and us!” But the other answered, rebuking him: “Don’t you even fear God, since you are undergoing the same punishment? We are punished justly, because we’re getting back what we deserve for the things we did, but this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom!” And He said to him, I assure you: Today you will be with Me in paradise.” - Luke 23:39-43